Gelatin is a white or light yellow, translucent, micro-glossy sheet or powder that is degraded by collagen in connective tissues such as animal skin, bone, sarcolemma, and muscle. It is also called animal gelatin, gelatine, gelatina.
Gelatin is a macromolecular hydrophilic colloid. It is a low-calorie health food with high nutritional value and can be used to make candy additives and frozen food additives. In addition, gelatin is widely used in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
The water and inorganic salts in gelatin account for about 16%, and the protein content accounts for more than 82%. Similar to maternal collagen, gelatin is also composed of 18 amino acids, of which the content of the sub-amino acids Pro and Hyp is high. The triple helix structure in gelatin gel mainly relies on intramolecular hydrogen bonding and hydrogen bonding hydration. Pro-NH, Hyp-OH and other amino acid side chain groups and water molecules can form hydrogen bonds, which is beneficial to the triple helix. The structure is stable.
What special traits does gelatin have?
1. Properties: The finished gelatin is white or light yellow, translucent, micro-glossy flakes or powders; it is a colorless, odorless, non-volatile, transparent and hard amorphous material.
2. Molecular weight: Gelatin is a product of collagen denaturation, a thermoreversible mixture with no fixed structure and relative molecular weight, and its molecular weight distribution ranging from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands (<300 KD).
3. Solubility: Soluble in hot water, insoluble in cold water, but it can be slowly swelled and softened. Gelatin can absorb water equivalent to 5-10 times the weight.
4. Gelation: Gelatin solution can form a gel with a certain hardness and can not flow. When the gelatin gel is stimulated by the environment, it will respond, that is, when the composition of the solution, the pH, the ionic strength change, and the temperature, light intensity, electric field and other stimulation signals change, or when stimulated by specific chemicals, condensate The glue will mutate and exhibit phase transition behavior.
5. Emulsifying properties: Gelatin is an effective protective colloid that prevents the accumulation of crystals or ions, stabilizes the heterogeneous suspension, and acts as an emulsifier in oil-in-water dispersion formulations.
Industrial gelatin is a colorless to pale yellow transparent or translucent sheet or powder. Tasteless, odorless. Water swelling in cold water. Soluble in hot water. Soluble in glycerin and acetic acid, insoluble in ethanol and ether.
1. Biocompatibility. Gelatin is a natural polymer material with a structure similar to that of a living organism, and therefore has good biocompatibility.
2. Biodegradability. As a natural water-soluble biodegradable polymer material, gelatin has the advantage that the degradation products are easily absorbed without generating an inflammatory reaction. When applying the degradability of gelatin, it is often chemically modified to regulate its degradation rate to suit different needs.
Yasin Gelatin will continuouly to update more and more knowledge about gelatin. We hope our customer and other buyer who need to purchase gelatin, also who interesting gelatin could get more information from our article. Yasin Gelatin always hope we could help others, if you have any query, please feel free to contact us. Our customer will help you to solve the problem. Also, Yasin Gelatin is the leader of gelatin for many years. So we are professional in gelatin production, if you have any problem in your product production, contact us. Yasin will always at your service.
Yasin Gelatin, Your best choice, Your reliable suppliers!